The Arc of Texas (The Arc) creates opportunities for all Texans with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) to actively participate in their communities and make the choices that affect their lives. Since our founding in 1950, The Arc at the local, state, and national level has been instrumental in the creation of virtually every program, service, right, and benefit that is now available to over one million Texans with IDD. Today, The Arc is primarily a public policy and advocacy organization that continues to advocate for including people with IDD in all aspects of society.
The Arc seeks a Director of Communications & Marketing to cultivate, engage and strengthen relationships with our various audiences, including Texans with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), their family members, and their support professionals; donors; local chapters of The Arc of Texas; volunteers; and all others who play a role in helping us promote, protect, and advocate for the human rights and self-determination of Texans with IDD.
Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Communications & Marketing is responsible for all internal and external communication lines for The Arc, and collaborates with staff to develop and implement a comprehensive communications and marketing program to promote The Arc’s mission and vision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Communications & Marketing
- Maintain and grow an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications & marketing plan to broaden awareness of The Arc’s brand and name recognition.
- Maintain a comprehensive communications, marketing and public relations program that will allow The Arc leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including media, public officials, and key influencers.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all print, branded materials, website, marketing materials and presentations.
- Coordinate the appearance of all The Arc print and electronic materials such as letterhead, impact report, website, social media, use of logo, brochures, etc.
- Curate content and increase audience engagement on The Arc’s social media channels and website.
- Participate in design and planning of public relations events, donor appreciations events, Capitol events and conferences.
- Develop, coordinate, and oversee technical assistance and resource materials to assist Directors in the marketing, communications and positioning of their departmental activities and programs.
- Oversee, or execute as needed, the development of electronic communications, including The Arc’s website, the monthly Disability Dispatch e-newsletter, quarterly chapter update emails, monthly Board of Directors messages, and other electronic communications.
- Partner with key staff to identify and coordinate communication and outreach strategies.
Growth & Sustainability
- Develop a deep understanding of the issues that The Arc promotes, protects, and for which it advocates, and demonstrate the ability to communicate these issues and philosophy effectively to donors, funders, supporters, and partners.
- Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals: manage all appeal campaigns, manage, and monitor online giving initiatives, work collaboratively with other program areas to advance fundraising goals; meet with funders as determined by the managing director.
- Liaise with the Director of Finance & Operations as needed to ensure organization’s cash flow and financial sustainability through careful budgeting, realistic fundraising targets, and coordinating timely access to funds from supporters.
Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
Skills & Experience Overview
The Ideal Candidate
- Possess a strong executive presence while demonstrating exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Executes a high degree of judgement and tact.
- Leadership experience, including demonstrated ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles.
- Ability to navigate high-impact and complex situations.
- An eagerness to execute a hands-on approach to build credibility, relationships, and knowledge.
- Extroverted people person with a talent for making people feel important. Will be a confident speaker capable of leading presentations to media and public to persuasively explain The Arc’s mission and vision.
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs into concise and credible messages.
- Professional presence and strong verbal, written and public speaking and presentation skills, for both internal and external audiences.
- A collaborative style, interactive with the courage and conviction to challenge and defend ideas and strategies; ability to offer creative pathways or alternative solutions both internally and externally.
- Connection to and experience working with or for underserved populations, particularly people with disabilities.
- Possess effective research and writing skills for creation and publication of promotional materials for internal and external communications.
- Leadership oriented and adept at people management, building long-term relationships with potential volunteers and partners. Must have a “connect the dots” mentality to strategically identify how our organization’s mission and needs align with the mission and wants of potential donors and individuals.
- Creativity and strong initiative in developing marketing opportunities.
Educational and Professional Requirements
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Marketing/Public Relations, Communications, or other related fields.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience in communications &/or marketing. Prior work in non-profit and with individuals with disabilities and families is preferred.
- Approximately 22 co-workers in relatively close quarters.
- Approximately 60% of this job will take place remotely, with 20% occurring in-office, and remaining 20% in community-based settings (e.g., meetings with donors, partners, vendors, etc.).
- Occasional weekend or night work is required.
The Arc of Texas values its employees, and as such, strives to offer a competitive total compensation package which includes both cash compensation and benefits. This position is eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Employer sponsored health and dental insurance
- Retirement plan benefits and employer matching up to 5%
- Twenty-three (23) days of vacation leave each year (accrued by pay period)
- Twelve (12) days sick leave each year (accrued by pay period)
- Employer paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance benefits
- The Arc observes sixteen (16) days of holiday which includes a weeklong winter break
Salary Range: $70,000 – $80,000 annually (commensurate with experience)
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Director of Communications & Marketing Application.” Recruitment agency inquiries will not be considered. Applicants who are applying with accommodations will receive individual instructions and assistance.
No phone calls or recruiter solicitations. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
People with disabilities, BIPOC individuals, Spanish speakers, and members of other marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply. If you require accommodations to effectively participate in the application process, please email email@example.com or call 1-800-252-9729.