The Arc of Texas seeks a Director of Communications & Marketing to cultivate and strengthen relationships with current and prospective members. Our current membership model includes Texans with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), their family members, and their support professionals; donors; local chapters of The Arc of Texas; volunteers; and all others who play a role in helping us promote, protect, and advocate for the human rights and self-determination of Texans with IDD.
Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Communications & Marketing is responsible for all internal and external communication lines for The Arc of Texas.
The Director of Communications & Marketing reports to the Chief Executive Officer, manages the Membership & Communications Manager, and collaborates with staff to develop and implement a comprehensive communications & marketing program to promote The Arc of Texas’ mission and vision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Communications & Marketing:
- Maintain and grow an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications & marketing plan to broaden awareness of The Arc of Texas’ brand and name recognition.
- Maintain a comprehensive communications, marketing and public relations program that will allow The Arc of Texas leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including media, public officials, and key influencers.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all print, branded materials, website, marketing materials and presentations.
- Coordinate the appearance of all The Arc of Texas print and electronic materials such as letterhead, impact report, website, social media, use of logo, brochures, etc.
- Curate content and increase audience engagement on The Arc of Texas’ social media channels and website.
- Participate in design and planning of public relations events, donor appreciations events, Capitol events and conferences.
- Develop, coordinate, and oversee technical assistance and resource materials to assist Directors in the marketing, communications and positioning of their departmental activities and programs.
- Oversee, or execute as needed, the development of electronic communications, including The Arc of Texas’ website, the monthly Disability Dispatch e-newsletter, quarterly chapter update emails, monthly Board of Directors messages, and other electronic communications.
- Partner with key staff to identify and coordinate communication and outreach strategies.
- Develop a deep understanding of the issues that The Arc of Texas promotes, protects, and for which it advocates, and demonstrate the ability to communicate these issues and philosophy effectively to donors, funders, supporters, and partners.
- Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals: manage all appeal campaigns, manage, and monitor online giving initiatives, work collaboratively with other program areas to advance fundraising goals; meet with funders as determined by the managing director.
- Liaise with the Director of Finance & Operations as needed to ensure organization’s cash flow and financial sustainability through careful budgeting, realistic fundraising targets, and coordinating timely access to funds from supporters.
Growth & Sustainability:
Skills & Experience Overview
- Embrace The Arc of Texas’ mission, vision, and guiding principles.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, and databases (Airtable preferred).
- Extroverted people person with a talent for making people feel important. Will be a confident speaker capable of leading presentations to media and public to persuasively explain The Arc of Texas mission and vision.
- Must have effective research and writing skills for creation and publication of promotional materials for internal and external communications.
- Leadership oriented and adept at people management, building long-term relationships with potential volunteers and partners. Must have a “connect the dots” mentality to strategically identify how our organization’s mission and needs align with the mission and wants of potential donors and individuals.
- Creativity and strong initiative in developing marketing opportunities.
- Practical knowledge and application of fiscal procedures, budget and program development, and financial planning process.
- Creative, self-motivated, self-directed, and able to work as part of a team.
- Ability to multi-task and meet tight timelines, along with disciplined time management skills to coordinate and prioritize activities, evaluates progress, and provides feedback.
- Must be discrete and safeguard confidential information.
Must possess integrity and can be relied upon to act ethically.
Educational & Professional Requirements
Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Marketing/Public Relations, Communications or related field &/or minimum 5 years of communications &/or marketing experience, preferable in non-profit.
Must develop professional and productive relationships with The Arc of Texas staff, volunteers, vendors, contractors, grant managers, and auditors to promote long-term business and goodwill relationships.
People with disabilities, BIPOC individuals, Spanish speakers, and members of other marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply. If you require accommodations to effectively participate in the application process, please contact us via email or call 1-800-252-9729.
The salary range for this position is $60,000-$65,000, commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills. Additional benefits include healthcare, dental, retirement, employer-paid short-term disability, vacation and sick time, and a winter break from December 23 to January 1.
Applications are due January 21. All applicants must submit a resume and list of professional references. We highly recommend applicants submit a mock communications & marketing campaign and a donor giving campaign for consideration. Please send all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Director of Communications & Marketing Application.”
No phone calls or recruiter solicitations. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.