Learn More About Our Research
The Arc of Texas worked with the Center for START Services (CSS) to conduct a provider systems analysis in Texas. The results from the study indicate a need for increased access to cross-training, information sharing, and collaboration throughout the health service delivery system .
Learn more about the background of our project and the results of our research by reading our issue briefs.
Why Are We Doing This Project?
Texans with co-occurring IDD and mental health conditions struggle to find quality mental health services in Texas. Without access to services, mental health conditions can worsen, decreasing quality of life, leading to crises, and sometimes institutionalization.
We want all Texans to live a quality life with the supports and services they need to not just survive, but to thrive in their community.
You Can Help!
Have you recently tried to get mental health services in Texas?
Do you know someone who has recently tried to get mental health services in Texas? We are looking for Texans with IDD to share their stories on video with The Arc of Texas.
Sharing stories is one way to tell lawmakers and the community why it’s important to break down the barriers that prevent services from being rendered.
These stories will help us work for policy changes so all Texans with IDD can access quality mental health supports and services in a timely manner.
Who We Are Looking For
We would like to hear from adult Texans with IDD who have/are any of the following:
- Received mental health services in Texas
- Recently attempted to receive mental health services in Texas
- Currently trying to receive mental health services in Texas
- Family members or friends of adult Texans with IDD who have attempted to receive mental health services in Texas (and can support their loved one to share their story).
How to Participate
What to Expect
If you are selected for the project, The Arc of Texas team will schedule time to talk to you to go over the details first and decide if you want to be involved.
- If you decide to be involved, The Arc of Texas team will send you questions to look at, and we can help you with your answers and support you throughout the process.
- Stories will be shared publicly and virtually across The Arc of Texas channels in a strategic manner determined by The Arc of Texas staff. We will make sure we have your permission to share information before doing so.
- Your participation in the videos can help you prepare for sharing your story with elected officials and state agency leaders during the interim and into the next legislative session
- The Arc of Texas can let you borrow technology tools if you need them, like a microphone, lighting, or a phone stand. (All items must be returned).
- If you need more assistance, a staff member from The Arc of Texas may be able to travel to you if you both determine it is safe to do so.