Please refer back to the Welcome Toolkit while reviewing the questions below. If you have any additional questions, please contact us at 512-454-6694 or using our toll free number 1-800-252-9729.


1) What is the role of the Primary Representative?

• As Primary Representative, the role is to be the main point of contact for the Master Pooled Trust on behalf of the Beneficiary.

• The Primary Representative requests disbursements and receives all information about sub-account activity.

See the ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES SECTION for more information.

2) Who is the Primary Representative?

• The Primary Representative is selected by the Grantor (the person who established the Beneficiary’s sub-account) and can be found on the joinder agreement.

• If you have questions about who the Primary Representative for a sub-account is, contact the Master Pooled Trust

3) How is the Primary Representative changed?

• The Grantor or the acting Primary Representative may select a new Primary Representative for the sub-account.

• This request must be made using the Change of Primary Representative Form (FORM E).

• The new Primary Representative should be an Alternate Representative listed in the joinder agreement.


4) How do I update any information?

• See the FORMS SECTION for forms to update any or all information.

• It is the duty of the Primary Representative to ensure the Master Pooled Trust is updated on information regarding the Beneficiary and the Primary Representative. The Primary Representative has the responsibility to keep the Master Pooled Trust informed about:

  • Their own contact information.
  • The contact information for the Beneficiary.
  • The living situation and benefits status of the Beneficiary.


5) Can I contribute cash?

•  NO. The Master Pooled Trust only accepts checks, money orders or electronic deposits.

6) How should I make out the check?

• Checks or money orders MUST be made payable to “The Arc of Texas, MPT, FBO [Beneficiary’s first and last name]”

• Write the sub-account number on the memo line if it is known.

7) Where should I mail the check?

• Send a check or money order to:
The Arc of Texas
ATTN: Master Pooled Trust
8001 Centre Park Drive, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78754

• For additional contributions, attach the Contribution Form (FORM F) that can be found in the FORMS SECTION.

8) Can I electronically fund the sub-account?

• Yes. E-mail for electronic deposit instructions.

9) Who can contribute money into the sub-account?

• IT DEPENDS! Additional funds may be contributed to the sub-account, but certain rules apply.

• Contact the Master Pooled Trust for more information.

10) Is a contribution to the sub-account tax deductible?

• NO. See your certified tax professional for tax advice.

11) What is the minimum amount I can start the account with?

• It is strongly recommended that the initial contribution be more than $300. There is no minimum amount required to fund the sub-account, however maintaining a sub-account balance of $300 will prevent a depletion and closure of the sub-account due to yearly administrative fees.

• There is no maximum amount that can be contributed to a sub-account.

12) How quickly will the contribution be available?

• Allow 10 days from notification of deposit for the funds to be available.


13) Are there fees on the sub-account?

• YES! For FUNDED sub-accounts, there is a minimum Annual Maintenance Fee of $300 (That is $25 a month, or $75 a quarter). See the FEES SECTION for the full fee schedule to determine an estimated fee for your sub-account.

• There is an IRS Tax Preparation Fee each year that is assessed in the 2nd quarter and deducted from the sub-account.

14) What are Frequent Disbursement Request Fees?

• Each sub-account may request twenty-four (24) disbursements in a calendar year. Once twenty-five (25) disbursements have been requested and disbursed in the calendar year, that sub-account is considered a “frequent user” and the Frequent Disbursement Request Fee of $12.50 per disbursement will be imposed for every disbursement request processed after the 24th disbursement in that calendar year. See the FEES SECTION for more information.

• Consolidating disbursement requests, making advanced payments for services and automatic payments are suggested ways to reduce the number of disbursement requests.


15) Can I choose where the sub-account funds are invested?

• NO. The Trustee as well as The Arc of Texas Finance and Operations Committee oversee all investments. Funds are invested conservatively in stocks, bonds, cash, etc.

• All earnings or losses are allocated proportionally to all sub-accounts.

16) Are the funds FDIC Insured?

• No. The sub-account funds, like other investments, are not insured by the FDIC, are not bank guaranteed and may lose value.

• There is no guarantee that the money will grow or be secure, but our conservative investment strategy allows for changes to be made quickly to alleviate possible losses

17) How do I monitor the gains or losses on the sub-account?

• Each sub-account’s gains or losses can be tracked on the quarterly statements mailed to the Primary Representative (April, July, October, January).


18) How do taxes work with the sub-account?

• The Master Pooled Trust strongly advises that the Beneficiary seek the guidance of a tax professional for questions regarding the completion of federal tax forms.

• Employees of The Arc of Texas are not tax advisors and do not provide tax or legal advice. See the INVESTMENTS & TAXES SECTION for more information.

19) Can you refer me to a tax professional?

• No. The Master Pooled Trust does not provide referrals.

• Visit for information on a Certified Public Accountant in your area.

20) Is the Grantor or Beneficiary responsible for the taxes?

• The Beneficiary is responsible for the taxes on the sub-account. Regardless of the type of sub-account, any funds reported on a Grantor Letter or K-1 should be filed with the BENEFICIARY’S tax return. See a sample Grantor Letter in the SAMPLES SECTION.

21) When will I receive my tax forms?

• The Master Pooled Trust will make every attempt to mail the tax forms by April 1st of the following tax year to the Primary Representative’s address on file.

• If the sub-account made a disbursement to a service provider, the Master Pooled Trust will mail a 1099-MISC form to report miscellaneous income to the service provider. The forms will be mailed by January 31st of the following tax year to the service provider’s address on file.

22) Is a contribution to the sub-account tax deductible?

• NO. See your certified tax professional for tax advice.


For other questions about disbursements, see the DISBURSEMENTS SECTION in this Toolkit. This includes questions about vacations, credit card statements, payments, debts, loans, etc.

23) How do I request disbursements?

• Follow the instructions in the DISBURSEMENTS SECTION in this Toolkit and complete a Disbursement Request Form (FORM B).

• All copies of receipts must be submitted with the Disbursement Request Form (FORM B)

24) What can the sub-account funds be used for?

• Find a list of items and services that the sub-account may be able to pay for in the DISBURSEMENTS SECTION in this Toolkit.

• The Social Security Administration requires that any payment made must be for the SOLE BENEFIT of the Beneficiary

25) Can I get the money the same day I send in the disbursement request?

• NO. Allow 5-10 business days for funds to arrive.

• Disbursements are paid via check, direct deposit, and True Link.

• The disbursement request must be processed by both the Master Pooled Trust & the Trustee.

• Disbursements cannot be processed the same day.

26) Can I pick up a check/cash from your office?

• NO. Disbursement funds cannot be picked up from The Arc of Texas offices.

• Disbursements are made via check, direct deposit, and True Link ONLY.

• The disbursement request must be processed by both the Master Pooled Trust & the Trustee.

• Allow 5-10 business days for funds to arrive. Checks are processed out of state and will be mailed to the address listed on the Disbursement Request Form (FORM B).

27) What is a direct deposit?

• The electronic transfer of a disbursement directly from the Beneficiary’s sub-account to the recipient’s checking or savings account.

• To set up a direct deposit, a Disbursement Direct Deposit Authorization Form (FORM G) must be completed or be on file with the Master Pooled Trust for each account where funds will be direct deposited to.

• The Disbursement Direct Deposit Authorization Form (FORM G) must be sent to the Master Pooled Trust where it is kept on file. See the DISBURSEMENTS SECTION for more information.

28) Can the Beneficiary directly receive funds?

• NO! The Social Security Administration and Texas Medicaid count any funds provided directly to the Beneficiary as income. This includes funds paid directly to a minor Beneficiary’s parent or guardian.

• Income to the Beneficiary can disqualify him/her from receiving government benefits.

• The Master Pooled Trust’s policy does not allow for disbursements to be made to the Beneficiary or to a minor Beneficiary’s parent or guardian.

29) Do I need to keep my receipts?

• YES! You must keep original receipts and provide copies of the receipts or proofs of purchase to the Master Pooled Trust for each disbursement request.

• If receipts, estimates, invoices or proofs of purchase are not provided, no funds will be disbursed.


30) How do I purchase a vehicle?

• In order to purchase a vehicle, submit the Vehicle Purchase Request Form (FORM I) prior to the purchase of the vehicle found in the FORMS SECTION in this Toolkit.

• After the Vehicle Purchase Request Form (FORM I) has been completed and approved, a Disbursement Request Form (FORM B) must be completed and submitted to the Master Pooled Trust and include a copy of the buyer’s order.

• The Master Pooled Trust may require that The Arc of Texas serve as the lienholder on the vehicle.

31) Can the sub-account purchase a home?

• IT DEPENDS! Contact the Master Pooled Trust for more information.

• Homes will not be purchased without special consideration.


32) What is a True Link Card?

• True Link cards are prepaid Visa cards funded by the sub-account that allow True Link cardholder access to funds for CERTAIN items. The cardholder may not get cash back from these cards. The cardholder may not purchase food, or pay rent, mortgage or utilities with the card. The cardholder may only purchase items that have been submitted through a Disbursement Request Form (FORM B).

• Should the cardholder misuse a True Link card, the card may be revoked.

33) How do I get a True Link Card?

• You must request a True Link card from the coordinator assigned to the Beneficiary’s sub-account.

34) How can I find out my True Link Card balance?

• Call True Link at 1-800-299-7646.

• Visit 

35) How is my True Link Card funded?

• Just like a direct deposit! Complete and submit a Disbursement Request Form (FORM B), check the True Link box in the payment options section and include the last 4 digits of the card number.

• The Disbursement Request Form (FORM B) will be reviewed and approved according to the procedures found in the DISBURSEMENTS SECTION.


36) How do i close my sub-account?

• The Master Pooled Trust is irrevocable and does not allow for sub-accounts to be closed unless the Beneficiary has passed away or the funds have been depleted.

37) The Beneficiary of the sub-account has passed away, how do I close the sub-account?

• Submit a copy of the death certificate to the Master Pooled Trust.

• Once received, Master Pooled Trust will contact the Primary Representative further information. See the CLOSING SECTION in the Toolkit for a detailed description of the process. 

38) Why are you closing my sub-account?

• Sub-accounts with balances under $300 with no additional funds expected will be closed.

• The Master Pooled Trust will contact the Primary Representative when this occurs.

39) Can payments be made after death?

• Any funds expended after the death of the Beneficiary will not be reimbursed.

• Funds expended prior to the Beneficiary’s death will be reviewed and a determination to reimburse these expenses will be made by the Master Pooled Trust.

• Expenses must be reported to the Master Pooled Trust within sixty (60) days of the Beneficiary’s death.


40) Can the Master Pooled Trust pay for funeral expenses?

• Yes, BEFORE the Beneficiary passes away.

• An irrevocable burial plan or contract should be set up through a local funeral home. All funeral expenses must be prepaid.

• See the LAST THINGS FIRST SECTION in the Toolkit for more information.

41) How much can I spend on funeral expenses?

• A Beneficiary may spend an amount equal to the Medicaid limit. Contact the Master Pooled Trust to determine that amount.


42) Is it possible to visit your office in person?

• Yes. Call 1-800-252-9729 or e-mail to make an appointment.

43) What are your hours of operation?

• The Master Pooled Trust is generally available weekdays from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with an hour lunch break.

• The Master Pooled Trust as well as The Arc of Texas follow the federal holiday schedule. The Arc of Texas is closed from December 24th through January 1st each year.

• Please allow 1-2 business days for a returned call. Repeat calls are discouraged as it delays the response time for a returned call.

44) How do I contact the Master Pooled Trust?

• Phone: 1-800-252-9729

• Fax: 512-454-4956

• E-mail:

• Mail:
The Arc of Texas
ATTN: Master Pooled Trust
8001 Centre Park Drive, Suite 100
Austin, Texas 78754

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt