About Our Member Chapters
Member chapters of The Arc vary in the supports and services that they provide within their communities depending on local needs and priorities. In some communities, The Arc member chapters directly provide residential, vocational and community-living support services. In other areas, where community MHMR Centers or other agencies provide basic community-based services, The Arc may provide a variety of ancillary services including parent support, self-advocacy programs, recreation and social experiences and respite care. Still others in small communities may serve primarily as family support groups. In all communities, The Arc serves as an advocate, working to ensure that people with intellectual and developmental disabilities are included in their home communities and be able to make the choices that affect their lives.
Supporting Member Chapters
The Arc of Texas works to build and support strong member chapters of The Arc throughout the state. We strive to help our more than 31 Texas member chapters become more active, independent, and mature by providing technical assistance and support at every step along the way. Whether you want to know more about an existing member chapter, or you’re interested in starting a member chapter in your part of the state, you have come to the right place! The Arc of Texas Member Services team provides the following direct services to all affiliated member chapters:
- State Updates: Up-to-date information about “the big picture” of disability state services trends, issues before the State legislature and latest changes in state agencies’ governance, plans, and procedures impacting Texans with disabilities.
- Leadership Training: Join other local volunteers at state conventions or regional workshops to develop or refine leadership skills, develop supportive relationships, and learn about innovative programs sponsored by other member chapters of The Arc.
- Board Orientation: These orientations brief incoming board members on their roles and responsibilities as leaders of The Arc.
- Strategic Planning: We offer practical, hands-on help in developing long-range goals and objectives for member chapters.
- New Member Chapter Development: We help developing chapters establish Bylaws and set up an appropriate leadership structure that will meet state and federal law requirements as they initiate volunteer activities in their communities.
- Technical Assistance to Comply with Affiliation Policies: Member chapters who want to be affiliated with The Arc of Texas and The Arc of the United States are required to meet certain fiscal and legal reporting requirements. We offer technical assistance and support to help member chapters maintain affiliation.